Constitutional Carry

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by RevV, Apr 4, 2017.

1. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Fellow supporters of the Second Amendment, I'd like to hear your opinions on "Constitutional Carry."

I've had a concealed carry permit since 2000, and I carry daily. I STRONGLY support 2A!

However, I also feel strongly that allowing UNTRAINED people to carry a concealed weapon is irresponsible, dangerous, and stupid!

When our Founders gave us 2A, all Americans had a basic knowledge of firearms, but that is no longer the case.

In addition, while I hate to admit this, I am confident that the average American now is less intelligent, more selfish, and less self-restrained than an average American in the first 200 years of our nation's history.

To be anything other than a public danger, people who carry weapons need instruction in both firearm use and firearms/self-defense law.

People need to demonstrate proficiency and knowledge of relevant laws before they are granted a driver's license. Requiring anything less of people who carry a weapon strikes me as criminally negligent.

I hope SC H .3930 fails.

That's my opinion, but I respect yours. Please share your thoughts.

2. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

I have worked with numerous Second Amendment Groups here in Texas plus have spoken for it hearings through two Texas Legislative Sessions. I give it a 50-50 chance this time.

The methods we used this time is identical to the last session. The problem in Texas is Liberal Democrats, RINOs in the Legislature, and Texas House Speaker Straus.

If it does not go through with HB375, we must have radically different techniques and methods if it has any chance at all in Texas.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

You bring up good points RevV.

4. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Moderator Staff Member

5. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Thanks for your comments, 3T.

To me, UNTRAINED people carrying is very bad. EVERYONE should have, in my opinion, the right to have a gun in their home, but taking it out in public requires some knowledge of law, some common sense, and some self-restraint--all things that many people lack!

Also, I think people who carry in public should have to be reasonably accurate because a lack of accuracy can lead to collateral carnage.

FRIENDS, especially fellow SC residents, please share your thoughts on Constitutional Carry. I will be meeting with a senior SC Senator next week, and I'd like to let him know how his constituents feel about this bill. Unless people post their opinions here, I be sharing only own opinion with the Senator.

Thank you.

6. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

I spoke with a SC Senator today about the bill that would allow people to carry in SC without a permit. He was very familiar the pros and cons of the bill, and he said that my reservations about the bill are reasonable.

He said that the bill will receive careful consideration and that the SC Senate will research the effects that permit-less carry has had in other states that allow it already.

He also said that one strong point in favor of making it legal for law-abiding citizens to carry without having to have a permit is that criminals ALREADY carry without having a permit. Thus, permit-less carry would simply allow law-abiding citizens to do what many criminals are already doing.

I must admit it; that IS a strong point in favor of the bill. Yet, I still think training is important. People who carry need to understand when the employment of lethal force is justified and when it is not. Perhaps I am a bit elitist, but I’d also like if all people who carry in public had proven that they can shoot with reasonable accuracy.

Perhaps local law enforcement agencies could offer FREE training to people who desire it.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Just to add a point,the criminals sure aren't trained.