Best Self Defense Round

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by ThreeTango, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Moderator Staff Member

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

+1 for the Browning 11.43×23mm...the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge.

March 29, 1911: The Colt pistol is officially adopted as the Model 1911—and with it the .45 ACP cartridge.

The very first production run, at the Frankford Aresenal in Philadelphia was stamped "F A 8 11", for the August 1911 date it came off the line.

3. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

That is a good article; it says, it says, "The reality is there is such a minute difference in the terminal performance between the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, that the interface between the shooter and the handgun, ammunition capacity and shot placement (accuracy) matter more."

However, I have what might be an important comment about those 9 mm rds. that allegedly perform as well as a .45 ACP.

Just the other day, I had a conversation with a local police officer. The conversation was much like the article. I talked with the officer about the dept. changing from .40 S&W to 9 mm. In a nut shell, the officer told me that the 9 mm rds. his dept uses are almost as effective as .40 or .45.

HOWEVER, HE ALSO SAID that the 9 mm rds. that are almost equivalent to .40 or .45 ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO CIVILIANS!

It is possible the officer was misinformed, but I doubt it.

To each is own, but I much prefer a .45. I shoot a .45 a little bit slower than I do a 9 mm, but for reasons I can not explain, I shoot tighter groups with my XD .45 than I do with my XD 9 mm or my XDs 9 mm.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Moderator Staff Member

You could have explained it right there,just a thought ;).