Ammo preferences for XD Mod 2

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by rayadorob, Aug 2, 2017.

1. rayadorob

rayadorob New Member

I just bought a .45 caliber XD Mod 2, with 3.3" barrel. My last .45 was the M1911A1 in the early 70s. Was wondering what ammo people preferred, or would suggest, for

--range target practice
    --self-defense
    --feral hogs

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

I have a Mod 2 3.3 inch 45 ACP, and it has flawlessly eaten everything I have run through it. I stopped counting at 500 but it must have 1000+ rounds through it without a single malfunction.

For plinking, I buy whatever is cheapest on the shelf.

I've never shot a hog, but a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with them says that standard military ball FMJ works best on hogs. He has taken down many hogs with 40 cal S&W FMJ.

For CC, I like Hornady Critical Duty or Remington Golden Saber, but that's just because I have run them and trust them. Many people like Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. Given that a XD will eat about anything, any of the defense rounds made by a reputable company would probably work. My silly little rule is that if it does not cost about $1 a round, I don't want to stake my life on it.

Welcome to the XD family!

3. rayadorob

rayadorob New Member

Thanks RevV for he helpful info.

4. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

You're very welcome!

Please let us know if you make any ammo discoveries. I'd especially like to know if you discover a kind of ammo that a XD does not like.

I had a Remington Rand 1911 that I got from a WWII vet. It had issues with every ammo I tried, except for ball-style FMJ, but that's what it was made to shoot. Being a shooter, not a collector, I traded it to a collector for a modern 1911.

5. rayadorob

rayadorob New Member

Mod 2 Ammo

Thanks. From what I can tell, the Mod 2 is very forgiving about ammo idiosyncrasies, with the possible exception of reloaded ammo.

6. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Agreed.

I have never tried reloads, but I would try them if I had them and if I trusted the loader.

I have shot some very old military surplus .45 through my .45 XD Mod 2 with no issues.

7. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Moderator Staff Member

Lately I have had good performance in .380, 9mm and 45 with Federal HST rds.

8. bwrkmgh

bwrkmgh New Member

You lose considerable muzzle velocity with short barrels, so I did a good bit of research and discovered that Speer and Sellier & Bellot both deliver higher than average velocity, and both are amazingly affordable.

9. rayadorob

rayadorob New Member

Thanks. I'll have to give them a try.

10. jack

jack New Member

I own 2 9mm mod2 3in and 4in shot lots of different ammo even reloads not one hiccup now on the other hand my 1911 TO Champion Elite 9mm very temperamental